City Twinning : Coimbatore, India – Esslingen, Germany
Esslingen Coimbatore Association (Esscom) is found under the Societies Act, 1975 to facilitate the twinning between both the cities and was found in Nov 2008.
Coimbatore exhibits Dravidian architecture with the beautiful ‘Gopuram’ in its Hindu temples. Exquisite carvings and sculptures that have captured the minutest details are examples of the exemplary skilled workmanship of the bygone ancient civilization. Among all the other temples, Perur Patteeswara Swamy Temple is one of the oldest and most popular temples in Coimbatore City. It was built by Karikala Chola in the early Christian Era through the joint efforts of the Chola, Hoysala and Vijayanagara rulers. Coimbatore’s Puliakulam Pillaiyar Temple is one of Asia’s biggest single stone idol statues. Succeeding them, British rule introduced Indo-Gothic architecture.
Victoria Town Hall was built in 1892 in honor of Queen Victoria. This historical structure was constructed with stone and lime and mortar, Tuscan columns and timber trusses with Mangalore tiles for roofing. Renowned Tamilnadu Agricultural University was relocated from Madras (now, Chennai) in 1902. It models Indo-Saracenic architecture. Athar Jamad Masjid is made up of limestone and mortar, polished in egg white and took 44 years for its grandeur. Similarly, Tipu Sultan Mosque, Coimbatore is well known for its strong limestone wall, teak wood roofs, central enclosure and two shining peak pillars. Isha Yoga erected Adiyogi Shiva statue, 112 feet tall symbolising 112 possibilities to attain moksha (liberation) and 112 chakras in the human system. The statue is the world’s tallest bust of Shiva and weighs 500 tonnes.